Sunday 7 November 2010

Break up Etiquette

So now that QT and I are over I have taken his photo out my wallet, I have changed my desktop background, I have removed the photo off my wall at work and I have taken off my "I love QT" keyring etc

What do I do with the keyring? Give it back to him and tell him to give it to his next girlfriend?

I also have a pair of his socks and he has my dressing gown, but surprisingly after 9 months together, we were both pretty good about keeping our stuff.
He had planned to keep an extra change of clothes at my house, I had planned to keep a pair of sunglasses in his car. We just never got around to it

So what do I do with the keyring? Dump it?

What do I do with his socks? Have a little reunion to do the swap?

I wrote to him on facebook this morning getting a few things of my chest:


Hi


I just can't help feeling that there are unsaid things from my side and I have to get them off my chest, otherwise they just build up into misplaced resentment. I can't help feeling hurt by a lot of the things you said to me and still am very disappointed by what you said because I still feel that there were issues that were blown up to become bigger than they should have been.


The point of this letter isn't to have a big back and forwards discussion about us because you had clearly made up your mind already - I just want to have my say to get it out:


For 9 months you were a huge part of my life and after my initial doubts, you and I worked so well. I was happy, you made me smile, you were open to trying things and doing things and I loved it




Somewhere along the line your racing became an issue and you were always tired and my job became an issue and my anaemia and I was always tired. And we stagnated and I got bored. The zoo was a spark that made me remember how we used to be- the stolen kisses in public, the sneaky bum grab, a hug from behind and a random kiss on my shoulder. My best was wrapping my arms around you and hugging and kissing you in the middle of nowhere


I think we forgot that we needed to go out and have fun and that no matter how much you wanted to sleep or I wanted to watch tv that that open air was good for us.



By becoming bored with our relationship, we fell into a rut that I don't think we even realised at first.

While I was away I knew we needed to regain the excitement that we had in the beginning. It wouldn't have been a huge effort to change it because we had it there before. All we had to do was remember. I was willing to and you weren't




I just want to thank you for everything these last few months QT. The bad things and issues between us are in the foreground now and are overclouding the good times, but that is the great thing about issues, you eventually forget about them and focus on the good times.


I had so much fun with you, I was so happy with you and I will never forget the happy memories we had together. I wish we had lasted longer because I think we had the potential.

He replied not long afterwards:

I don't want to give you my take on what I think because then its just going backwards and forwards like you said you didn't really want to do.


I just really want to thank you far everything and all the good times we had together. I had an awesome time with you and I hope you had a good time with me aswell. I also hope that in time we could still remain friends because you are such an awesome person and I don't wanna lose a friendship aswell.
 
That is that - I cant do or say anything else.
 
I dont know if I want to remain friends, right now it just hurts too much and why should he have my friendship when he didn't want me? (I almost wrote as much to him, but decided rather not to say anything)

I have to focus on moving past this in as mature a way as I can. Even though I feel like shouting and screaming at him just to get back at him for hurting me.

I just cant believe it is over.

7 Comments:

  1. oh flirty - break ups are always hard no matter who initiated it. as far as break-up etiquettes are concerned (and by no means i'm judging here), i always feel that anything you say has to be in person or at least a letter that you mail - i know, i know, but it still has that personal touch. as far as his key ring and other stuff, i say if you are unsure of what to do with it - put it in a box and store it somewhere out of sight. but at least, while the wounds are fresh you're not going to look like the angry woman who's lost her brains out by giving back everything. the material things probably are the last ones i'd worry about. when time comes, you can have a reunion and give it back, or whatever. right now, focus on you. healing, doing what you deserve. it's not about him. it's all about you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these kind words Reni. The Fb message is kinda fitting as this is where it all started....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hardest part is getting used to them being gone. Things will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad! I really do hope you feel better soon. Break ups suck! Embrace the pain, eat the chocolate do the crying and just keep going. Eventually it gets tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Angel, my heart is breaking for you. To log on and catch up on these posts, sigh.

    No advice from me about QT, just take care of YOU, love yourself and surround yourself with people who remind you of how special YOU are.

    **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's not easy filling the sudden space in your life. It feels like there is a big hole. But now is the time to be with those who love and appreciate you for who you are. Good luck!
    Everyone has some amazing advice here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go visit http://dearoldlove.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.