Tuesday 3 September 2013

Travel Tuesday Part 4 - Japan

This marks my final instalment of my Japan Travel diaries. I have enjoyed this segment so much I am going to continue it and each time reminisce about a place I have been and the memories I have from that time.

On with Part 4:
These beautifully coloured containers are Saki Barrels.
Each barrel is a work of art and I wish I had taken the time to photograph a few of them individually.
Next to these barrels is a prayer to bless the farmers of Japan with prosperity.


Shibuya is the world famous pedestrian crossing seen in any movies/series shot in Japan.
For me, I wanted to cross this section because the boys from One Direction shot a video here and walked along this very crossing.
The feeling is so hard to describe. As the light changes, hundreds of people cross the intersection and it becomes entertainment just to sit back and watch a few light changes.
Everybody is civil and gets where they need to go without pushing or shouting.
The noise levels are pretty loud due to the high volumes of people.
There was a lovely Starbucks that overlooks this intersection (prime spot!) and we had dinner at a little Japanese bar where our menu was handed to us - in Japanese.
I asked the waiter where we looked Japanese because we couldn't understand a word written on the menu! 

It was drizzling slightly that evening and I had taken along my cute little tourist umbrella. Every 5 minutes it collapsed and dumped water on me while Lizelle (my work colleague) sniggered away!
She had uncanny timing every time! She somehow managed to turn around at the exact moment it happened!


This shrine was the epitome of Japan and I love the architecture of the Japanese structures.
These shrines are all constructed out of wood and painted.
Every couple of years the wood is all sanded down and re-painted. Some shrines have the ashes of warriors / saints hanging in a bottle/urn suspended from the ceiling.
It must be a beautiful sight.



Shun san was our guide from our supplier and resident photographer.
He snapped photos while were were not looking (most of them are shot from behind and not at all flattering), but the scenery photos were composed so well I commented on them alot.
I later found out that while in university, Shun had displayed his photos at the Tokyo art Gallery. Talk about talented!


The Tokyo Tower is a tall building / observation area that allows you to see over the whole of the city.
Inside was this gorgeous Swarovski replica in pink! I was so tempted to steal it, but spending the night in jail would have put a damper on my trip!


Japan was never on my top 10 list of places to go, however knowing what I now know, I would recommend visiting this country in a heartbeat.
The people of Japan make me as a westerner feel that we could treat fellow humans with so much more courtesy and respect than we do currently.
The food is tasty and worth trying.
The scenery out of the city is breathtaking and instil an inner peace that makes the soul smile.

The memories will live with me for a long long time and I hope that one day you will experience what I have.

To read the other 3 parts:
Part 1
Part 2
Photobucket


2 Comments:

  1. The shrine is beautiful. I hope you managed to get something to eat, despite the menu being in Japanese! Japan is somewhere I haven't rally thought about traveling to, but I know a few people who have been there and they all say it's just a wonderful country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah .. we did. Luckily the Japanese speak english very well and we had a Formaggio. :-D

    Same with me, never considered it, but definitely worth a visit to experience a lovely new culture.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.