Tuesday 21 April 2015

{April A-Z Challenge} The Letter R


R is for ... Rhino


There are not many times in my life when I have been terrified.
But there was a particular moment that I distinctly remember that feeling as a small fission of fear tickled it's way up my spine.

I was on holiday with a friend at a private game reserve called Welgevonden. We had been out on a very enjoyable game drive and were anxious to get back to our rooms to have a nap and freshen up- in anticipation of our evening feast in the outdoor Boma. 

As we were driving back into camp, we were greeted by the incredible sight of a rather large rhinoceros. She was having a bad day and was clearly PMSing.
As we stopped to take some photos, she suddenly turned and began to rake the ground (Warning sign #1) and blow out large gusts of air that disturbed the sand beneath her nose. (Warning sign #2)

Before we could even blink, she was charging towards us and as the driver raced our bulky vehicle away, she continued to gain ground on us. I recall thinking to myself, "As long as I am in front of one other person, she will get them first" Survival 101 - HAHA!

Luckily the camp's entrance was on a steep hill for just this occasion (we had all thought the ranger had made up that story) and she was eventually forced to slow her pursuit until she could not continue to follow us any further.

Nervous laughs and shaky hands and we all alighted the vehicle safely. But phew! I will never forget this large lady:




1 Comments:

  1. Oooo that was scary! I guess they dont like visitors gawking at them all the time... Enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.