Tuesday 27 August 2013

Travel Tuesday - Part 3

I mentioned in a previous post that the Japanese people really do know how to look after their guests and our trip to Nikko was a trip that I will never forget.

We stayed in a traditional-style Japanese hotel (Kinugawa Plaza Hotel) where the floors are bamboo mats and the decor is minimalistic.
You have the option of sleeping on a bed roll on the floor - but I draw the line at embracing the culture that entirely - I would rather have a comfortable bed! 

The room had a view of the valley down below and the green chair you see in the photo was a massage chair. Best. Invention. Ever. (Even better than the self-flushing toilet with heated seats)



An even bigger treat was that our supplier treated all the ladies to our very own authentic summer kimono! We had our own Japanese lady to dress us, so excepting for the underwear - we are dressed as authentically as any Japanese lady would be! Even the sash colours were chosen for us (they don't match, but apparently "mismatched" is how it should be.) 
We were shussed as we tried to choose something else.

 


This is the view of the highway going underneath the river. From my hotel room.
I suffered from extensive jetlag, so this image was taken at around 2am.


I love how this photo has the building peeking out at us while we are waltzing around a stunning garden complete with giant peonies (bigger than my hand) and this gorgeous wisteria.


The final few photos to follow next week.

If you missed the other posts - catch up here:

Photobucket

2 Comments:

  1. I love the photo of you in your kimono's! Apparently laying on the floor is the idea place to sleep; it keeps your spine all aligned and you wake up feeling great. (Although, like you, I'd much rather sleep in a comfortable bed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah fluffy pillow over aligned spine any time! hahaha!
      Those kimonos were awesome, mine is now a gown to wear around the house! :-D

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.