Tuesday 19 May 2015

Lessons to be learnt


There are many sayings in life that are meant to help us get through the tough times:
God only gives you as much as you can carry
A woman is like a teabag, you only know her true strength when she is put in hot water
Be like a tree in the storm; you will bend, but you won't break

... Yet somehow I cannot find a single one that seems to work for me this time around. Curiously, I am not as beaten down as I imagined someone in my position should be feeling right now. 


My kitty cat ended up in animal hospital with a really bad case of cystitis brought on by stress. Even removing the stress will not ensure that he will ever not be susceptible to it again. This condition now requires a lifetime of special food.

I suffered a herniated disc the next day after ignoring the muscle spasms for 3 weeks and bending down too fast. 
2 days of agony, followed by a 6-8 week recovery period. (Also the reason for my lack of blog post last week)

5 days later my window is smashed by 2 men trying to steal my cellphone. They smacked and pulled my head and fought me to get the damn phone and as I dropped it behind me on the floor, the 1 shouted to the other, "shoot her!" I promptly held out my hands to show them it was gone anyway and we managed to get a gap in the traffic to drive away as they fled.

Life has thrown me a few curveballs these past 2 weeks and I try not to dwell on the negative. I prefer to acknowledge the lessons I should be learning and move forward:

I have learnt that it is imperative to have money for more than 1 emergency. Luckily I was able to dip into my home-loan access account.

I have learnt the importance of car insurance.

I have learnt to listen to my body when it tells me it is taking strain.

I have learnt that working longer hours is not only bad for the body, but also unhealthy for your soul.

I have learnt that it is important to keep a cool head in a crisis.

I have learnt that kindness from strangers still exists & I have been reminded that there is nothing more important than love and support from your family and friends.

Animal Hospital: R2000 
Back treatment: R1700
Broken window: R500
Family & friend's support: Priceless

What valuable lessons have you learnt lately?


1 Comments:

  1. Goodness gracious I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a bad time of things lately!! I didn't know people would get violent about stealing a cell phone anymore, either. Wow.
    So happy to hear you have good family and friends to take care of you. :)
    Lately I've been thinking about how blessed I am to have the husband that I do. He's so supportive and just wants me to be happy. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am, so I've been intentional about reflecting on it and making it a lesson for myself.
    Thanks for stopping by this week!
    AJ Lauer

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.