Thursday 2 October 2014

Financial Planning

Something many of us don't think about until it is too late.

My dad recently had a stroke. Luckily they caught it in time, because apparently strokes come in pairs and the 2nd one is usually the killer.
I was unaware that Diabetics had a 80% higher chance of having a stroke than usual. Scary statistics!

My dad is 71 and he is unfortunately not in a position to retire. I am terrified that his health worsens soon (at his age it is inevitable) and what does he do then?

His retirement savings were stolen a few years back when Zimbabwe worsened and my dad was so disillusioned that he never took out a new policy. Something I only just discovered.
He pretty much dug his head in the sand and pulled it out now when it is too late. His reason - he has no money for policies.
I get that.
I get that feeling of counting every penny and wondering how it is going to last long enough to buy food at the end of the month.
My brother is in that exact same situation now. He and my sister-in-law live in a cottage on my parent's plot. Thanks goodness for lots of land. But that means nothing when you have ZERO money when you aren't able to work anymore.
How do you support your children?
How do you support yourself without becoming a burden on your children/family?

This situation with my dad has prompted me to force my brother to at least apply for an Income Protection  case of disability etc, at least he has something.
It is too late for my dad.
No companies will underwrite any policyholder older than 70.

The reason I am telling this story?
To hopefully help at least 1 person plan for their future. Please don't underestimate the importance of this!
Something, anything is better than nothing.

Contact a financial adviser and tell him what you can afford.
A great financial adviser will not make you feel guilty. They will advise you of what you should do, but they will work around what you have.
If they chastise you or try to strong-arm you - call someone else. Just don't give up and leave it.

I have a great adviser - he works for Liberty in and around JHB and Pretoria - let me know if you want his details.

For as little as R200 monthly you can protect your income and for a R500 monthly moderate risk investment, you can receive a lump sum back in 5 years time. At the end of the day - you are
investing in yourself and a better future - please love yourself enough to do this so that you can live a long life without added stress.

2 Comments:

  1. It's horrible watching your parents suffer financially! I wish there was more I could do for mine but I tend to live in my own bubble in the sand.
    Wise words. I've been putting off phoning our guy (we had to get a guy when we bought the house). Just phoned him to relook at our policies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice. I have diabetes and although I do try to look after myself, I am very conscious of the fact it could affect me in later years.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.