Monday 1 July 2013

Rocket, Watercress, Sweet Pear, Walnut and Lemon Juice Salad

In June I had the girls over for a small birthday dinner where I cooked a signature meal of mine: Roast Chicken.
I wanted a small starter for my guests to nibble on while I prepared the food in the kitchen and I came across this awesome recipe in my Jamie Oliver cookbook.
I can hear your sniggers. 
I don't cook, but I own a Jamie Oliver cookbook, a Nigella cookbook and I won a South African cookbook as a book prize in Matric (Grade 12) for Business Economics. (I know right?)

The recipe was for a Rocket, Watercress, Sweet Pear, Walnut and Lemon Juice Salad


Simple & Delicious
This is what Jamie has to say about making his delicious salad: 

For one person I normally use around half a pear 2 big handfuls of watercress and 2 big handfuls of rocket. If the skins are nice just give them a wash, if not remove with a peeler. Then cut them in half and de-seed. It doesn`t really matter how you cut them up. Sometimes in big rough chunks, maybe sliced up or even grated. 
Then place into the bowl with the watercress and rocket. The pepperiness of the leaves works so well with the sweetness of the pear. 
Drizzle with a good extra virgin olive oil just to coat, a small squeeze of lemon juice (because the pear juice is slightly acidic but very tasty), and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 
Shave over some Parmesan or Pecorino, crumble your nuts over (I substituted the walnuts for pecan nuts.) and tuck in. Toss all this together and serve.  I love this salad with roasted meat or as a starter on its own.

Part of my Twenty Wishes was to cook more this year and while planning for the dinner I realised that I only have a handful of great meals I can cook. 
Everyone has eaten those meals, so what do I do after this? I can't invite friends over and expect them to eat the same food.
Thank goodness Claudz came up with this challenge when she did! (Even though I almost didn't take part, it's fortuitous that I did!)



3 Comments:

  1. YAY for Flirty cooking!
    Impressed by your cookbook collection. That salad looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professional chefs always make things sound so easy, don't they? Your salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seriously sounds amazing must must try like asap! Thank you so much for sharing the link with me. Sending you good vibes for the week ahead.

    Meg | Meghan Silva's Blog
    @MeghanSSilva on Instagram

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.