Thursday 3 May 2012

Coffee: Did you know?

Making my colleagues some coffee the other day & I noticed that I am really anal about stirring.
I over-stir my coffee because I hate to get a mouthful of sugar at the bottom of the cup. They all laughed at me because I am so anal, but they don't get a mouthful of sugar in their last sip now do they?

So the new girl asks for tea & this is where our conversation goes:

New Girl: But only put the sugar in once you have taken the tea-bag out please
Dude 1: What difference does it make?
New Girl: The teabag absorbs some of the sugar and my tea isn't as sweet
Me: Makes sense to me
Dude 2: I've heard you should pour milk in your coffee cup and then pour in the hot water
Me: My grandmother always did that and she made the best coffee!
Dude 1: How can it taste different?
Dude 2: Apparently it stops the hot water from burning the coffee.

Moment of silence, then suddenly all our faces light up.

Makes sense when you think about it.

So in an effort to see if that is true, I do a quick Google search (because I really don't have much time to investigate as would Nancy Drew)
They say if it isn't on the 1st page of the results it isn't important enough anyway.
I did find the answer & Dude 2 was right! So remember that the next time you are making a cup.

Here are some more interesting facts about coffee:
  1. Caffeine content goes up as the water spends more time in contact with the grounds, so regular coffee often has more of it than espresso or cappuccino. 
  2. Coffee can seriously help the growth of healthy plants. Just pour cold coffee onto plants or mix the grounds into soil and watch it totally wash the droop away. 
  3. Coffee was originally regarded more as a medicine than as a drink. It was thought to cure a number of ailments, including drunkenness and asthma. Robert Burton, in the Anatomy of Melancholy (1632) listed coffee as an intoxicant, a euphoric, a social and physical stimulant, and a digestive aid. 
  4. Coffee is grown between the Tropics of Cancer & Capricorn. Hawaii is the only US state that grows coffee
  5. Coffee is the 2nd most traded commodity on earth (Oil is first)
  6. Drinking instant coffee produces less carbon emissions than drip-filtered coffee
On that note, look what arrived yesterday:
One Direction Mug
My One Direction mug! The picture is slightly blurred because I was so happy I was shaking.

Now I can look at my boys while I drink my coffee... ahhhhhh!

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.