Tuesday 3 March 2015

{Travel Tuesday} Highlights of Ireland - Part 1


"Hi, my name is Chantelle & I am a Wanderluster"

I suffer from chronic wanderlust. Always have.

I have a bucket list of all the places I would like to travel across the globe, which basically entails almost every country.
I also have a short list of "musts" to see before I die. 

Let me tell you about 1 of my "musts" -  Ireland

I was doing this trip alone and opted for a coach holiday.
I chose Trafalgar Tours & I loved everything about it.
The guides are friendly and knowledgeable and the coaches are extremely well-kept and very comfortable for discovering the wonders of Ireland.
Best of all, this holiday was so affordable & it offered all sorts of surprises such as Be My Guest, & Hidden Treasures.
To find out what I am talking about, visit their website & begin your holiday planning!


How does one whittle down an amazing holiday into a few "highlights"

Ireland has a charm all of its' own that is so hard to explain unless you have been there. South Africans are a friendly nation, but Irish are charming.
They radiate warmth and friendliness & their accent makes them sound happy all the time.

We took a bus tour of Dublin. We drove past The Brazen Head, the oldest pub in Dublin. We saw the artists displaying their paintings, learnt a bit about the pretty doorways as well as the reason for the the different size windows on each level of the house.




We visited the breathtaking Trinity College. The smell of old books and knowledge is almost overwhelming.


Through County Wicklow & County Wexford we drove as we learnt the tragic story of Irish Emigrants & visited an exact replica of a famine ship named Dunbrody - the vessel has the smallest cramped spaces for entire families and the living conditions were atrocious.
It made me thankful to be who I am in this day and age and not having to withstand that type of poverty and desperation.

On to Waterford where we had 2 really fun and interesting tours:

Waterford Crystal - hand crafted glasses, chandeliers, candlesticks, trophies and ornaments. The attention to detail and quality of workmanship was astounding. I walked out of there with a new respect for these products and an intense wish for a better exchange rate as I would loved to have bought myself a souvenir.




Jack Burtchaell Waterford Walking Tours
An hour spent learning the history of the town by 1 of the wittiest & knowledgeable tour guides I have ever encountered. He is rated as the Number 1 tourist attraction on Trip Advisor.
I was even a queen in one of his story re-enactments (unfortunately married to an ugly old king)

One of the sites we visited was Reginald's Tower. Originally built from wood in 1003, it was later rebuilt in the 1200's.
Built by the Vikings (Waterford has some of the 1st known Vikings ) from a combination of stone, human hair, animal blood and dung. The tower is one of the oldest buildings in Ireland.



Off to our next stop, to Kiss the Blarney Stone!


I was not prepared for the beauty of Blarney Castle and its' surrounds. I could have spent hours taking in the scenery. There is a lot to see; including a poisonous plants garden, some waterfalls and a small gift shop.
Luscious greenery is everywhere and the random stream and flowers were picture-perfect.

Beware: the line up the castle to kiss the Blarney Stone is a long one, try to go really early or late if possible, or else do that first and then take your time to explore the gardens and streams. 
While you are waiting in the queue, you are inside the castle ruins; you will see the remnants of fireplaces and rooms. There are plaques mounted around to give you more information about the purpose of the room and it's placement.



Tips for when you do go:
Wear a shirt that does not ride up as they photograph you when you are bending upside down to kiss the stone. 
Wear shoes with a good grip as some of the stairs are extremely narrow to step on.

Killarney was my favourite part of Ireland, the scenery along the way (Ring of Kerry) was spectacular and the town had a wonderful feel about it.

We visited Muckross House, built in 1843, home to water-colourist, Mary Balfour Herbert and her husband Henry. (3 Mary Herbert watercolours are displayed at Windsor Castle)

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert spent 2 nights there in 1861.
No photos were allowed inside as the original furnishings are still there - including a 2 ton billiards table!



Muckross House is situated on in Killarney National Park. No cars are allowed in the park. All transportation is by way of Jaunty Cart (Horse and Cart)

Tip: Guided tours are by appointment only. Pack something warm as cart rides tend to be a bit cold.
Recommended Hotel: Killarney International A traditional hotel with wooden floors and plush furnishings. There is a pub on the premises otherwise some lovely restaurants and little gift shops to explore.
If you are on a budget, look out for the pizza place across the road - great deals for 2 pizzas and drinks - a fraction of the cost of a restaurant.

Stay tuned for Part 2 next week.

2 Comments:

  1. Loved Ireland and this post took me back. Kissing the Blarney Stone is a fun experience but the rest is just beautiful. I kind of recall our night in Killarney....Irish car bombs and folk dancing at 4am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful. So much green everywhere I was occasionally reminded of the Cape Scenery

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.